Full course description
Understand what is metals, their alloys, usage and the recycling of metals.
This course is organized into 5 modules:
- Metals and Alloys
- The Reactivity Series
- Extracting Metals
- Recycling Metals
At the end of the course, you will learn how to:
- describe the general physical properties of metals
- explain what an alloy is
- identify the diagrams of structures of metals and alloys
- determine the order of reactivity of some metals, from the reactions of these metals with water, steam and dilute hydrochloric acid
- deduce the order of reactivity of metals when given a set of experimental results
- relate the method of obtaining a metal from its ore to its position in the reactivity series
- describe and explain the reactions involved in the extraction of iron in the blast furnace
- describe the presence of oxygen and water as the conditions necessary for the rusting of iron to occur
- state how rusting can be prevented
- state why there is a need to recycle metals
- discuss the issues related to recycling metals
This course is available to all Pathlight School students.
Pathlight School students can enrol in this course. Login to Learn for Life eCampus is required.