Full course description
This course is a basic introduction to organic chemistry, the study of compounds containing the element carbon.
This course contains five modules:
- About Organic Chemistry
- Homologous Series
- What is Petroleum
- Fractional Distillation of Petroleum
- Uses of Petroleum Fractions
Students will learn to:
- define hydrocarbon.
- define homologous series.
- describe an homologous series as a group of compounds with a general formula, similar chemical properties and showing a gradation in physical properties as a result of increase in the size and mass of the molecules, e.g. melting and boiling points; viscosity; flammability.
- state the functional group for different homologous series such as alkanes, alkenes, alcohols and carboxylic acids.
- name organic compounds given the structural formula.
- draw structural formula for organic compounds.
- describe petroleum as a mixture of hydrocarbons.
- name natural gas and petroleum as sources of energy.
- describe the fractional distillation of petroleum.
- name the petroleum fractions and state their uses.
This online course is open for Pathlight School students to access.
Pathlight School students can enrol in this course after logging in to Learn for Life eCampus.